It feels a bit overwhelming, doesn’t it? The scale of the problem. You’re probably thinking how can I make a difference? You have much more power than you realise. You can create less demand for plastic by simply choosing not to use it.
Here are some ways you can make a difference.
- If you buy bottled water on the way to work every day. Stop. Get a reusable bottle and fill it from the tap.
- If you have to have your coffee or tea on the commute get a reusable cup. Some cafes and coffee shops will even give you a discount for using them!
- Always carry reusable shopping bags
- Avoid using plastic straws and cutlery – Just say no to straws or ask for a paper straw.
- Join a beach clean – Find out if any events are taking place in your area:
These are just a few things you could be doing. Don’t ever think that you won’t make a difference. If we all do something every day, even if it’s something small our actions will add to something huge.
Want to Recycle more plastic?
Check what types of plastic you can recycle at home by using our Recycling Locator.